Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia - E.L. Doctorow

Monday, June 7, 2010

BIRTHDAY + Unending Love

Its my birthday today! My day is just beginning and the celebrations will start this afternoon. I'm excited for the day ahead. It's nice to be able to just go out with friends and have a good time. I've been so busy lately that that stuff is a rare occurrence.

I thought today I would leave you with a poem. Not something I've written, but one of my favourite poems. It's not a poem associated with new life, more with death, which may not be so appropriate for a birthday post, but its my birthday and I make the rules, lol.

Here it is "Unending Love" by Rabindranath Tagore


I seem to have loved you in numberless forms, numberless times…
In life after life, in age after age, forever.

My spellbound heart has made and remade the necklace of songs,
That you take as a gift, wear round your neck in your many forms,

In life after life, in age after age, forever.



Whenever I hear old chronicles of love, it's age-old pain,

It's ancient tale of being apart or together.

As I stare on and on into the past, in the end you emerge,

Clad in the light of a pole-star piercing the darkness of time:

You become an image of what is remembered forever.



You and I have floated here on the stream that brings from the fount.

At the heart of time, love of one for another.

We have played along side millions of lovers, shared in the same

Shy sweetness of meeting, the same distressful tears of farewell-

Old love but in shapes that renew and renew forever.



Today it is heaped at your feet, it has found its end in you

The love of all man’s days both past and forever:

Universal joy, universal sorrow, universal life.

The memories of all loves merging with this one love of ours –

And the songs of every poet past and forever.


Have a great day!

7 comments:

  1. Happy birthday - hope you squeeze a ton of fun into it :)

    I haven't seen that poem before - lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very happy birthday and thanks for the blog visit! Best of luck on all your writing endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Bec! I hope you have an amazing day.

    That's a beautiful poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday and thanks for following me! I hope you get to eat loads of delicious cupcakes with thick buttercream frosting. (Always assuming you like that sort of thing. But who doesn't?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAAPY BIRTHDAY!!!! BELATED BUT STILL!!! YAY FOR YOU!thanks for following me too, eat allot of cake :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the well wishes everyone! I had a great birthday outting with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like your blog! I'm a new author and have enjoyed this new experience. I find that it's the most difficult and most rewarding. I'm also a graphic designer and love having that creative outlet as well.
    Thanks for your post! I will be back for more updates. :-)

    Melissa Nielsen
    frommysomewhatseriousmind.blogspot.com
    www.printhis.biz

    ReplyDelete